Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Sifting and sorting

I don't know why I wait until so late in the day to blog; I could easily write things much earlier in the day.

Today, for instance, I got off work a whopping 3 hours early! I was home enjoying the sunshine and my cat by 2:30. This was especially delightful since most days, it's dark out by the time I leave work, where I have no windows at all, anywhere. I'd be safe in a tornado there, but I would have no idea it was happening.

Sitting on the couch with my cat in my lap and my Kindle in hand is my new favorite thing. It's amazing. Also, thanks to some excellent people, my Kindle is suddenly getting pretty fat and happy. I have almost everything I've ever wanted on it! Almost.

In unrelated news, I've been discussing the concept of intellectual property a lot recently. Jess and I came to the conclusion that it's an interesting concept, and it had its place for awhile, but it was a concept that was only applicable from the mid 1800s until the internet. The end.

Which is not to say that I don't want to pay for anything ever. If you write a book, I will gladly pay you for the pleasure of reading it. But...I would like to pay you once, and I would like to be able to read it in any/every format of my choice. I would like to buy your song once, and listen to it on as many computers and devices as I want.

I think this is the direction we're heading in, but some people are reluctant to go there. Aron told me that if you buy a record, it often comes with a code to download the album on itunes. If you buy a blu-ray, you get the dvd and a digital copy with it. Hopefully soon the same will apply to books - buy a book, get a code to download it to your preferred e-reader as well. That would be loverly indeed.


Pam and I spent the evening baking: two batches of brownies, a pumpkin pie, and a pumpkin roll. I made the pie crust, and I hope it's super delicious. It's gluten free, but it looked and felt like gluten-ful dough! I hope it turns out alright.

While Pam did much of the baking, I sorted Kindle files. There's a program that lets you make sure the title and author are correct, fill in the series it's a part of and what number in the series that book is, AND change the cover art! It makes me very happy to have all of this arranged now.

I'm so looking forward to the next week. Oh, did I mention I don't go back to work until a week from tomorrow? Yeah, a week. From tomorrow. I'm gonna do so much reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment