Wednesday, November 9, 2011

magnificat

I wanted to punch people (read: coworkers) in the throat much less today than yesterday, which I take as a sign that my mood is on the upswing. I hope. I do fear that the rest of the year will be a roller coaster of emotional extremes for me, but I'm not sure there's much I can do about that.

Except write. Writing helps. I need to make more time for more writing.

Right before Halloween, the bell choir found out that we were losing a member of our already sparse group. Last week, the eight of us that remained had a bit of trouble with the songs, trying to take new bells and figure out how to fill in the gaps. This week was a complete turnaround; we acquired three new members! Two of them had never rung a bell before tonight, and one is a returning member from long ago. One of the brand, brand new ones happens to be my bestie and roommate. She saw us perform at our Halloween concert and was instantly delighted with the bells. She'd never heard nor seen a bell choir before, and we dazzled her. So I convinced her to join, and so far, I believe she's having oodles of fun!

Having convinced her to join bells, it was only a small, tiny step to convince her that she should also help the choir out with our big Christmas number. We're always low on altos, see, and I happen to know that she enjoys and misses music. And it's so convenient - choir practices right after bells, and she only has to come one extra Sunday in December to sing this one piece!

And that's how I got Jess to come to church. Bwahahahahahaha!

Ahem.

This Christmas piece we're doing, by the way, is amazing. The Magnificat, by Pergolesi. We have a small-ish choir, but our director is so good at whipping us into shape and making us sound huge. This is only the second Wednesday we've practiced, and it's already sounding awesome. PLUS there will be a string quartet with us! I love strings so much. I miss being surrounded by them all the time. I think I need to start going to symphonies.

Random perk of my job: I get to be in photos for the catalog and videos for the website (recognize anyone in this one?). Today I hung upside down on an inversion table, transformed it into an ab blaster, and did a little workout. Tomorrow I get to take a trip to Wisconsin to have some backyard BBQ fun for a photo/video shoot. I hear there will be a koi pond, and actually barbecued foods that someone will have to eat!

In the meantime, I should have gone to bed ages ago. Jess and I were too busy harmonizing. ... #notaeuphemism.

No comments:

Post a Comment