Monday, November 9, 2009

I am nothing if not a procrastinator.

Somewhere in the middle of October, I found myself perusing the "How to Write Books" books at the bookstore. I looked at the cute little NaNoWriMo-in-a-box kit and thought how fun it would be to participate this year. (NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month, in which you are supposed to write a novel. In a month. It's about quantity, not quality, and it's to get you started and show yourself that yes, it actually can be done.) But, knowing myself as I do, I knew that I wouldn't do it. Or, even if I did decide to, I wouldn't finish. I did think, though, that it would be fun instead to try to blog every day in November. I made a mental note to attempt such a feat.

In case you didn't notice, it's November 9th, and my last entry was almost a month ago.

So that failed.

But I'm here now, so let me tell you a bit about how my life's been since that last entry. In a word: awesome. If I could pick two words, they'd be awesome and busy. More words, and things start getting worse (delayed. unscheduled. smelly. unhealthy.), but really, overall awesome.

I've had some great crews, including a crew on my least favorite plane, for a last-minute overnight that was thrown onto my schedule after a long day of being stuck in one tiny room wih a broken airplane sitting uselessly outside. As unhappy as I was with the change to my schedule, it ended up being one of the best times I've had with a crew.
My bff got and started a job. Not only am I happy for her about this in general, I'm also glad that she's actually liking it so far. A happy her is a happy us.
My cousin who has lived in North Carolina for the past ten years and who I often miss seeing evem when she is in town thanks to my job has just decided to move back to Minnesota.
And, of course, my awesome new boyfriend has given me a plethora of reasons to be smiley and awesome.

As for busy, boy let me tell you. Every month, flight attendants are guaranteed 75 flight hours. When I place my bid every month (aka when I tell the computer what I'd like my schedule to look like the next month, which days I need off, etc), I bid ti get as many hours as possible in as few days as possible, to maximize time off. This month, I also decided to allow my schedule to be built with only one day off in between trips instead of the standard two, in hopes that I would get a nice string of a lot of days off at some point in the month. I had no such luck. In November, I have the minimum number of days off allowed in a month (a mere ten), and 90 flight hours. 90. 90 is a ridiculous number of hours to have built into your schedule, especially for someone as low in seniority as me, and especially considering I didn't request more than the standard 75. In all of November, I never have more than two days off in a row, every single one of my trips is a four-day, and I only have one day off in between some of them.

As I said, besides awesome, my month has been (and will continue to be) busy.

There is a ladybug trying to find a comfortable perch inside my lampshade. Scared the crap out of about two minutes ago.

Anyway, now that it's the second week of November, I'd like to try my November daily blogging goal. I know, I know. You're probably thinking, "Cindy, how on earth will you manage that?"

I guess you'll just have to stay tuned to find out.


P.S. I was going to wait to post this so I could look it over on an actual screen instead of here on mypod, but in an effort to kick off blogmonth, fuck that, I'll just post it as-is. Please forgive any typographical errors. Erroneous "b"s are probably supposed to be spaces between words. Kthxbai.

No comments:

Post a Comment