Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I love Shakespeare.

Like a lot.

I loved everything about last night.

My sister and I went to the Guthrie for Beer, Burgers, and the Bard. We had some burgers, some beer, and then watched a 50s version of Two Gentlemen of Verona. Then we went to Applebee's for some mozzarella sticks and a little more booze.

We got all dolled up, and I loved my outfit. My mom made me a new shirt, and we tore apart what used to be a dress and made it into a skirt. Some of the shopping I mentioned in the last post was accessories to go with my new outfit, all of which I loved. Even my shoes make me smile every time I wear that pair.

We people watched while we ate, and got offended that a lot of people don't feel the need to dress up to go see a show. A staggering number of people were wearing jeans, and one man had a baseball cap on. Really? I know the night involves beer, but you can't even put on an unwrinkled shirt?

Our seats were front row center, and they were amazing. The girl next to me had her purse in between her seat and mine, and it was totally leaning into my seat so much that it looked like it was my purse, not hers. I found it strangely offensive and hilarious, and my sister and I had a good giggle about it.

The show was excellent. Shakespeare should always involve singing and dancing and 50s clothing. I want to marry every actor that was in it, and I wonder again why I was too damn shy to be in theater in high school.

The girl with the purse and her boyfriend didn't come back after intermission, which made me sad. I hope they just sat somewhere else and didn't leave. Who leaves Shakespeare right in the middle?

Our post-show mozzarella sticks were delicious, and I had a green beer for the first time in my life.

I have a new life goal: I want to see every Shakespeare play performed live. So far I've only got two, I think. I saw Twelfth Night in Stratford-upon-Avon, and Two Gentlemen of Verona last night. I've got quite a ways to go, and I'm stoked.

No comments:

Post a Comment